Tuesday, November 16, 2010

In Canada, Grizzlies Invade Polar-Bear Turf

By: Cole McDowell

Summary: This article was about how grizzly bears are moving into Polar Bears territory. In Wapusk National Park Grizzly Bears are starting to appear. Seeing Grizzlies that far up north is very rare and locals say that they have not seen Grizzly Bears anywhere near Wapusk for over 100 years. Experts say there is no way to know for sure if the Grizzlies will stay or not. If they do stay then boundary's will be drawn. Although polar bears are almost three times larger than a grizzly they cannot take down large prey like adult moose and caribou. Lucky for Grizzlies they can take down a moose or caribou. The reason experts are so interested is they do not know how they will react to each other. Most people hope for the two species to get along but experts say that three things can happen. The Polar Bear moves, the Grizzly leaves or they get along but keep their distance. The choice is in the hands of nature.


Opinion: I hope that the two species can get along. I feel that it would be a interesting thing to happen up in Canada. Most people think all bears are vicious but Robert Rockwell who work around bears even says "In 41 years in the field, where I sometimes see 200 bears in a day, I've seen exactly one aggressive encounter". If that is the case i believe that their will be almost little to no problems with The Grizzlies and the Polar Bears in Wapusk
National Park. If either side is driven away from their home it would be very sad.

Questions:
1.What do you think will happen to either bear in this situation?
2.Exactly how big can a Grizzly and a polar bear get?
3. Do you think that the bears will keep their distance from each other or will they fight?


http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1968441,00.html?xid=rss-topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29

4 comments:

  1. When I read the article, I expected the worst. I thought that there would be a major conflict between the grizzlies and polar bears. But Cole's quote surprised me. If the man who works around bears has only seen one aggressive encounter in 41 years, then I guess that says something about the bears' nature. Hopefully, this will not result the in the endangerment or extinction of either species. If the best occurs, the grizzlies will go back to where they came from and everything will go back to normal, no harm done.

    Question 3: Cole himself pointed out the quote, in which the man said he had seen only one aggressive encounter between bears in 41 years. I guess that wouldn't say much if he saw bears once or twice a year but this guy works around bears, seeing sometimes 200 bears a day. That must mean that the bears are not violent by nature but rather aroused and pressured into acting in such a way. So with that in mind, I believe that the bears will find a non-violent solution to this dilemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I read the first sentence I was curious to read on. The mix of these two animals could potentially be very dangerous to eachother. I liked the last sentence of Cole's summary... "the choice is in the hands of nature." This really appealed to me because I find it interesting that nature is so powerful. I agree with Insung that the quote was astonishing. Most would think that these two animals would be very aggressive towards eachother. Seeing that they haven't could possibly be a good thing for the two animals to be near eachother. This article reminded me of the time I saw a Grizzly. They seemed so large and intimidating to me. Polar bears are almost always depicted as cute and furry. These two animals are polar opposites yet they could possibly get along. This relationship says a lot about the difference of animal to animal and human to human interaction when there is two completely different organisms put together.

    3 New Questions:
    1) If the bears get aggressive how do you think this could affect other animals/ecosystems around them?
    2) Since this situation could possibly get dangerous do you think a barrier between them should be drawn now?
    3) What other unlikely animals around the world are going into one another's habitats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opinion: This article surely sets a negative tone in the beginning. When you see some of the first few lines you're expecting to read about violent altercations taking place. You're expecting the worst. But, I was given a legitimate belief that the bears could end up not attacking and engaging with each other. If bears truly aren't as aggressive as portrayed usually in TV shows like "I shouldn't Be Alive" or other shows like that, like Cole said, then these bears shouldn't act more aggressive than they do to humans. The only reason I can think of for fighting is competition for land and food and resources, much like most of the wars in the human world are faught over. In the end, I really think and really hope that these bears won't engage in violent activity with each other.

    Answer to Question 3: I believe that Grizzlys and Polar Bears will keep their distance away from each other unless it is an all out war between each other. I don't think bears will fight bears, like most people don't fight people. I believe that they will just ignore each other and block each other out unless, like I said before, competition occurs between the two species.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opinion:
    My first thought was that the polar bears and grizzlies would have a vicious encounter almost immediately. After reading on, it seemed much less likely. At this point, peace has been kept and I believe that there will not be a large amount of fighting. The animals will most likely keep to themselves, especially since they have different prey. When I see large bears like the polar bears and grizzlies, the first thing in my mind is to be afraid and very cautious. Although they can both be extremely agressive, I think that if left alone, no problems arise. Once when I was hiking in the mountains, I encountered a large black bear. I slowly retreated and made sure not to disturb the creature. As a result of being careful to not bother the bear, I was perfectly safe. If the two bears manage to stay out of each others way, there will not be big issues.

    More Questions:
    1. Have other situations like this taken place in other areas? If so, what were the results?
    2. Are grizzly bears and polar bears known to be aggressive towards each other?
    3. Can the grizzly bears be removed from the area? Should authorities take action towards this?

    ReplyDelete